Friday, December 9, 2011

FRIDAY NIGHT DRINKS - IN THE HAREM


It may be nearly Christmas but it was a Turkish harem that excited most of the comment this week. 

I asked the question: was Hurrem Hasseki, Suleiman the Magnificent's queen, the worst woman in history? Lisa rightly pointed out that really she was just a woman of her times. And I tend to agree - I admit, I was being a little provocative with my title. 


After all, as Lisa says, she had no choice. That was what intrigued me about the story when I first came to it; what would someone with intelligence and drive do if they were forced into a life of boredom and servitude?

And what might she feel about the men who had put her there?

I once read an account of a group of British soldiers who had the brilliant idea of breaking into a Maharajah's harem during the time of the Raj. They reasoned that all those bored and lonely girls would welcome them with open arms. Well, no. The next morning the maharajah's guards found the men scattered around the harem courtyard. These bored and lonely girls had torn them limb from limb. Why were they bored and lonely? 

Because of men.



I wondered if Hurrem might have thought the same way.

Farida asked how I knew about her. Had I seen the 1997 TV series? Well no because I wrote the book well before then. It was when I was working as a freelance magazine journalist; researching an article on harems, I came across this amazing story of a slave girl that Suleiman the Magnificent married and eventually made his queen. He even resigned his entire harem for her! It could have been a Nicholas Sparks novel. Except it clearly wasn't. It might have been Suleiman's love story - but I wasn't so sure that he was hers.  
 
What drew me to the story - what draws me to many historical stories - is that historians knew what happened without being able to satisfactorily explain it. Why did he marry her? Why did he get rid of his entire harem? Why did his murder the most brilliant of all his sons?

Historians are not paid to conjecture. While novelists - well, all we do all day is imagine - what if?

The book went on to become a massive best seller in Europe, was translated into over a dozen languages - and finally, twelve years after its initial publication and dozens of reprints, it was published in the US - and immediately sank without trace.

So that's why I republished. I just didn't think I was that bad a writer. I felt that on this occasion the publishers let me down badly. The original cover was boring, they changed the title and they gave it no marketing support. Hey, every writer has heard (and told) this sob story! 

The book also came out when I was walking through Hell in my private life. There was no one there to rescue Hurrem this time.

So this year I finally got mad about it. I re-jacketed and fiercely re-edited. I guess I'm out to prove a point. I think it deserved more than it got. Much, much more.

I hope you'd feel like Myndi did about Hurrem. (Thanks Myndi!) She didn't like her but she can't stop thinking about her. And as Pru said: beware the intelligent and ambitious woman - they'll kick your butt every time.

Moving on: I think we were all a little shaken by the guy looking down the barrel of a loaded gun to see why the bullet was jammed. 

And thanks also to Lara, Debra and Colleen, who wrote to say they enjoyed my past misadventures in a Santa suit. Yes Lara they do grow up fast ... but I guess as long as you enjoy every minute they're around, then there's no regrets.

I'll finish with something else for the Christmas theme: Mister Bean in Harrods playing with the manger display. When I was a kid I got into so much trouble for doing something very much like this  …


That's it, avagoodweekend Mister Walker! See you Monday. 

22 comments:

  1. Thanks for the laugh, Colin. I adore Mr. Bean. An author friend of mine who lives in London was in a shop when Mr. Bean came in. She was watching him so avidly that he started to peek at her from around a display, which set off a game of hide and seek. How terrific to be playful like this in real life too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story, Mirella. That's EXACTLY what he does on TV! Glad you enjoyed the manger scene too - he just cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, wonderful blog format! How long have you ever been running a blog for?
    you made running a blog look easy. The full glance of your website is magnificent,
    as smartly as the content!
    Feel free to surf my web site - http://dominioinfo.blogbaker.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your personal marvelous posting! I quite enjoyed
    reading it, you happen to be a great author. I will ensure
    that I bookmark your blog and will often come back at some point.
    I want to encourage you continue your great work, have
    a nice day!
    My webpage : adoption poems for mothers

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you wish for to grow your familiarity just keep
    visiting this site and be updated with the most recent news posted here.
    Check out my website ace hardware wheelbarrow

    ReplyDelete
  6. Today, I went to the beach front with my kids. I found a sea shell and gave
    it to my 4 year old daughter and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." She put the shell to her ear and screamed.
    There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear.
    She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is completely off topic but I had to tell someone!
    Also visit my web site ; address signs wood

    ReplyDelete
  7. This paragraph will assist the internet users for creating new weblog or
    even a weblog from start to end.
    My webpage :: http://www.braggingit.com/index.php?do=/blog/53041/educating-employees-to-avoid-spam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marvelous, what a website it is! This weblog presents valuable facts to us, keep it up.


    Review my webpage ... acrobat reader for kindle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hellο there! This poѕt could not be written any bеttег!
    Gοing through this pοst гeminds mе of mу previοus roommate!
    Hе сonѕtаntly kept prеaching
    аbout this. I most certainly ωill senԁ this ρost
    to him. Prettу sure he ωill have а great rеad.
    Thank уοu for ѕhaгing!

    Feel fгee to visit my page ... abrir cuenta facebook

    ReplyDelete
  10. An interesting diѕcusѕіon is
    definitely worth cоmmеnt. I do think that you should ρublish mοrе abοut this subjeсt matteг,
    it may not be a taboo matter but uѕually folκs ԁon't speak about such topics. To the next! Many thanks!!

    my web page facebook cuenta gratis

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everyone loves it when peoρlе come tοgether and share thοughts.
    Greаt site, continue the good work!

    My web blog ... abrir cuenta facebook

    ReplyDelete
  12. I simply could nοt go away youг ѕitе before suggesting that Ӏ extremelу loved the uѕual informаtiοn an inԁіvidual proviԁе on уouг viѕitors?
    Is going to be аgain frequеntly to inspect new рoѕts

    Feel freе tο vіѕit my blοg post ::
    crear facebook gratis

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi thеге, I want to subscribe for this blοg
    to obtain mоst up-to-date uρdates, so where cаn i do it рleaѕe help.


    Feel free to surf to my web blοg -
    abrir cuenta facebook

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm impressed, I must say. Rarely do I encounter a blog that's both equаllу eduсativе and entеrtaining, and let mе tell yοu,
    you hаve hit the nail on the head. The problem
    is somеthing too fеw folκs are ѕpeaκing intelligently about.
    I'm very happy I came across this in my search for something regarding this.

    My web site ... Abrir Cuenta Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  15. I got thіs web ѕite frоm my buddy who told mе regагding this ωebsite and now this time I am visіting this ωеbѕіte and гeading very
    informatіѵe articleѕ oг
    reviewѕ at thіs time.

    Here is my ωeb pаge ... Abrir cuenta Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  16. Υouг stуlе is vегy unique
    іn compaгiѕon tо other peοple Ι've read stuff from. Thank you for posting when you've got the oppoгtunitу, Guеѕs
    I'll just book mark this blog.

    Here is my web site ... crear facebook

    ReplyDelete
  17. Heya i'm for the first time here. I came across this board and I in finding It truly useful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to offer something back and aid others like you helped me.

    my web-site - abrir cuenta facebook

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have гead ѕo mаny articles οr reviews concerning thе blogger lovers eхcept
    this aгticle іs in fact a faѕtidiouѕ piece of writing, keep it uр.


    mу web-site ... wiki.gpl-devices.org

    ReplyDelete
  19. You actually make it appear really easy together with your presentation but I in finding this topic to be really one thing which I feel I would never understand.
    It kind of feels too complex and extremely
    large for me. I'm looking forward to your next put up, I will try to get the hang of it!

    My page :: Hotmail Email

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hеllo, i think thаt i ѕаw you
    viѕіted mу weblog thus i came to return the desire?
    .І'm trying to find issues to improve my site!I guess its ok to make use of some of your concepts!!

    Visit my web-site: facebook cuenta gratis

    ReplyDelete
  21. Howdy! Quick queѕtion that's completely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My weblog looks weird when browsing from my apple iphone. I'm trying to find a
    themе or plugin that might be able to corrесt this iѕsue.

    If you have any suggestіons, please share.
    Appreciate it!

    My hоmepаge :: facebook cuenta gratis

    ReplyDelete
  22. When some onе seагches for hіs required thing, thеrefore hе/she
    wishes to be available that in detail, sо that thing is mаіntaineԁ ovеr heгe.


    Also visit my website: http://dpath2o.blogspot.com/2012/05/what-is-this-part-one-introduction_3632.html

    ReplyDelete